Written by MyHow
Archived Mail on GmailGmail is a mailing platform and a product of Google. Gmail has the capability of storing your mail for safe keeping. This is called archiving which Google provide using the archive button. When you archive your email it'll never get deleted but its kept in the All Mail tab where you can search for it and retrieve it.
Why you should need to archive
- You might be busy and don't want to deal with an email at the moment and you don't want to trash the email.
- You may want to archive an email if the email has phone numbers , and addresses you may need in future.
- If you want to go back to an email thread that had information that was crucial and wanted to follow it after e.g. mailing lists.
Archiving Email Information for Computer Users
Archiving email messages can be beneficial for businesses and individuals. It allows important messages to be stored and organized for later access. Learn how this process works here.
Archive individual messages
- Login to your email account using your login ID and password.
- Once in the account, open the message to be archived or select the checkbox next to the message you want to archive.
- The archive option will appear at the top of the screen.
- Click the Archive button and the Email will be archived.
Archive two or more messages at once
- Open your Gmail account with your username and password (same as before).
- Find a group of messages you want to archive, such as ones that match a specific search.
- Access the toolbar at the top, click the checkbox. This will select all messages that you can see on the page.
- Click the Archive button and the process is complete.
For Android 4.0+ Users
Archive and delete actions
Are you more likely to archive or delete a message? This setting makes your preferred remove action visible while viewing messages and notifications. To access this feature, use the following steps:
- In the Gmail app, select the menu option.
- Once in the menu, select the Settings option.
- In the settings menu, choose General settings.
- Click on Archive & delete actions to further explore the available options.
When you choose to see archive, see delete, or see both, you'll be able to:
- See the icon(s) while you are viewing your email.
- Choose the action (archive or delete) desired from interactive notifications (available for Android 4.1+ devices).
- Swipe to archive or delete (to use this feature make sure the box for the swipe setting is checked).
Confirm before archiving
To avoid accidentally archiving an important message, it is a good idea for you to use these settings:
- Log into the Gmail app and select the menu feature.
- Once the menu is on screen, select the Settings option.
- From the settings menu choose General settings.
- Check Confirm before deleting, Confirm before archiving, or both.
Find archived messages
Here are a few ways to locate messages that have been archived:
- Touch the Search icon while viewing your inbox or other list of conversations.
- If you previously applied a label to a message, you can find the message by touching the menu and selecting the label.
- All archived messages are in All Mail. Touch the menu and select All Mail.