Written by MyHow
Permanently Delete a Facebook Account
No one can ever begrudge you if you are thinking of calling your relationship with Facebook quits because some pretty hairy things have been known for going on there. However, I am tempted to conclude they are those at Facebook who want to keep you for themselves once they get you. This could be the only reason why they make it so difficult for us mere mortals to delete our accounts by hiding the deletion option somewhere you rarely think to look. But stress not, it can be done and after doing it, you will see just how easy it is.
It is important to note that deactivating your account is not deleting and you can still get back into the account whenever you choose to.
- Log into your account as usual, because you can only delete the account from within, otherwise anyone could be able to do it.
- At the top right part of the Facebook page, there is a downward arrow; click on that.
- Select ‘settings’.
- Go to ‘General Account Settings’ and click on the link at the bottom of the menu which says ‘download a copy of your Facebook data’.
- Navigate to ‘download archives’ to ensure you have backed up stuff you may want to keep
- Remove all third party links to your account.
- Paste the following address into the search window: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account
From there, similar addresses will pop out, just click on any.
- A warning window will come out with. At the bottom right corner of the warning window, there is a blue ‘delete my account window’, click on it.
- You will be prompted to enter your password; this is merely to ensure it is you deleting the account and not some hacker.
- You will also be prompted to prove that human by doing the captcha thing, go on, then click ‘okay’.
- The system notifies you that you have to wait for 14 days after which your account will be a thing of the past.
- Wait for 14 days before even checking if it is really done. The period is probably to ensure if it is not you deleting, then you have some time to correct the deed or that if you have second thoughts you can reactivate before it’s too late.
Tips for a successful account deletion
- You can never reopen your deleted Facebook account therefore ensure that you are definite this is the way to go.
- There is obviously stuff you would want to keep, back it up to keep it safe because once account is deleted, this won’t be recoverable.
- Ignore the warnings, they are meant to make you feel uncertain but if you know this is what you want, go for it.
- After clicking ‘Delete’, wait for the 14 days for it to be deleted. If you so much as log into it, you will get it reactivated and then you have to go through everything again. The best thing is to avoid Facebook like the plague during the waiting period.